Thursday, October 28, 2010

Resident at the St. Luke's Downtown

Six months ago I knew I was having pain in my gallbladder area, but I just kept putting it off and putting it off and trying to monitor the pain with ibuprofen, which usually worked, until October 21st, Thursday, at 2:00 in the morning. I started throwing up and throwing up. I had even tried to take ibuprofen, but it just came up, too. I knew something was wrong this time. I was in so much pain, but not in the gallbladder area, it was in the middle of my chest area. Finally after having no sleep, I called Jody at her work at 9:30 and said, "I need to go to the ER and I can't drive myself." She was up here in a hop-skip-and-a-jump and we went to St. Luke's Downtown. After running several tests, yup, my gallbladder needed to come out, that was no surprise, but what was the surprise was the pancreatitis. They said that a stone was stuck in the bile duct between the gallbladder and the pancreas and that it could be life threatening and they said, "You're being admitted." Since I had put Jody off on calling mom to tell her that I was in the ER until tests were done when we knew I was being admitted I started crying. She rubbed my arm said it will be all right and said, I'd better call mom. Now, not ever being admitted to the hospital before or having surgery, here I was being admitted to the hospital and surgery couldn't be done until Monday? Really? Is this necessary?
Well, to make a long story short, the surgery was Monday and I was released Tuesday. The stone was not there in the duct when they went in so no additional surgery was needed, they just took out the gallbladder. It's Thursday and I'm feeling okay. Getting around better and better every day.

1 comment:

  1. Holy SH** Girlfriend! Do you need anything? You know I would be there in a heartbeat! I hope you get better and better everyday. Love ya girly!

    ReplyDelete